The operation after the epic holiday

I guess I should write about the operation.

I’d found out prior to the holidays that I’ve 3 massive fibroid growing around my uterus wall. Click on the word to find out what it is.

I wasn’t worried about the operation, what I was scared of was type of surgery and the recovery period. As the fibroids were huge, there was a chance I’d be cut open. Thankfully, I managed to make it through the keyhole surgery. Nonetheless, it wasn’t that painless either. Let me take you through my journey.

On the early morning or 19 March 2012, I checked into KK Woman’s & Children’s hospital. Everything was seamless and I was feeling pretty calm and relaxed.

At about 11am, the nurse came to wheel me into the pre-surgery ward. I was made to feel really comfortable whilst waiting for my turn. Then at about 11.45am, they wheeled me into the room before the surgery room. The anesthetist was perhaps the 1 major blip in the entire procedure. Not only did he poke the wrong veins, his accent & pronunciation made it EXTREMELY hard for me to understand what he was saying. I got so tired of asking him to repeat that I just nodded my head at everything he said. Was I suppose to bleed so much when he inject the needles on my hand?

All my notions of Grey’s Anatomy was squashed when I was finally pushed into the operating theater. It was stark & cold. The closest thing to the show was the greyness of the room. I was asked to confirm my name and type of operation I was doing. Whilst the nurses were busying themselves with the preparation (sounded abit like a wet market), nerves finally set in (rather late eh?).

Before I could calm myself down, I heard a nurse asked, “Is Dr Tan ready?” The reply came back affirmative and I was told they’ll inject the GA into me right now. I was waiting for the “Count to 5” instruction which never came. 😦

Next thing I knew, I woke up shivering and shaking rather violently on the bed. In the groggy state, I managed to mutter “very pain” & “very cold”. After inserting a suppository up my ass to bring down the pain, I heard “Patient is not breathing”. Not a good sign.

They wrapped me up in warm electric blanket & I had an oxygen mask on. I must say, the oxygen mask was pretty neat. I was breathing really good quality air!

Whilst being wheeled back to my ward, I could see a blur shadow of my mum and that really made me feel a lot better. The next couple of hours was spent drifting in and out of sleep + pain. A few good friends came to visit in the evening and I’m thankful for their companion despite feeling really really groggy and in a semi-comatose state. I slept through the night rather easily.

The kind nurses at my ward (Ward 43 Bed 25) knew when I had to pee and stuck a bedpan underneath my ass. But peeing was a literally pain/bitch. I spent the next 30 mins trying to empty out my bladder. Why? Cos it was burning! They said it was normal and I believe them, but it was at that moment I remember promising myself I will try my darnest not to get myself into this sort of situation ever again.

The next morning, the doctors came to assess my situation. They said I was recovering well despite all the pain I was feeling. Next came the physiotherapist who insist that I get up and try to walk. I had to try to walk to the toilet all by myself! After they remove the oxygen mask and the GA has worn off, I find myself rather restless. Luckily I had family & friends visiting at various parts of the day to make the hospital stay less boring. Thank you to the faithful partner who visited me everyday before and after work. 🙂

I was discharged on the 3rd day and almost 3 months after the operations, I think I’m all good. If possible, I never wanna go through that experience ever again.

I’ll post pictures of the fibroid for those fans of gore soon. Just need to sort out the faulty S100.


One thought on “The operation after the epic holiday

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s